The other day, on a five-hour drive to visit family for Thanksgiving, I asked my partner, "Would you rather be stuck in an elevator for two hours with our grumpy neighbor... or babysit our niece alone for a whole day?" He smiled and said, "You asked me this last week." It was at this point I realized my rotation of random questions could use a bit of a refresh!
Since we're all about reading (and pretty bookmarks!) at Page Petal, we put together some bookish questions to help change up conversations among fellow readers in your life. Keep them in your back pocket for upcoming family gatherings or, if you're like me, use them to kick off a road trip in a literary way. Either way, we hope they're useful to you!
Let us know in the comments if you have a go-to conversation starter, we'd love to add it to our ongoing list. :)
Random Bookish Questions & Conversation Starters for Fellow Readers
1. What's the best book you've read over the past year?
2. Which fictional character do you feel the deepest connection with?
3. What are you reading right now?
4. How do you make time for reading?
5. Are you a re-reader?
6. What's your reading routine? Does it change often?
7. What's currently on your TBR list?
8. Is there a movie based on the book that you like more than the book?
9. Is there a book you think would make a great movie?
10. Are you a one-book-at-a-time reader? Or do you like reading multiple books at the same time?
11. What's your ideal reading environment?
12. Thoughts on listening to audio books vs. reading books?
13. Do you mark up your books while you read...better yet, do you dog-ear book pages? (Psst, shop our flower-pressed handmade bookmarks. You'll never want to fold your pages again!)
14. Is there a specific genre you like to read the most? If yes, why that genre?
15. If you could date or be best friends with a fictional character, who would it be?
16. Is there a book that made you want to travel somewhere that wasn't on your radar?
17. How do you get out of a reading rut?
18. Which book(s) was the most life-changing to read? (See our list here!)
19. Thoughts on book clubs? Does it enrich the reading experience or do you prefer reading at your own pace?
20. What's your favorite bookstore?
21. If you were to own a bookstore, what would it be like? How would you arrange the books? Would you serve coffee and food? Play music? Where would it be?
22. Have you ever had a "meet-cute" thanks to books? For instance, gotten a DM on IG? A chat in a bookstore? A random connection on a bus or in line?
23. Would you rather read one long (900ish-pages) book or three shorter (300-ish pages) books?
24. If you could meet one author in person, who would it be?
25. Thoughts on prologues? Epilogues?